Being centered has been one of the most fulfilling things to learn, or should I say relearn to do. It really is at the essence of everything I talk about, and I will explain why later on. Being centered is a state of being that we move in and out of all the time naturally.
Being centered is being in your physical body. What that means is, being in the feeling awareness of your physical body. Everyone has experienced this before. One of the easiest ways to get there is to take some deep breaths and feel how that feels. You can then settle into your body even more. You more you practice, you more you will be able to stay there for longer periods of time.
You might be wondering how we aren’t in our bodies to begin with. Well many times our thoughts pull us out of this natural awareness. Being centered doesn’t mean NOT thinking. In fact you can do everything you normally do and be centered while doing it.
How to practice centeredness:
You can decide to notice throughout your day if you are feeling your body or not. When you notice you aren’t there, you can sink back into feel. We are not just thinking beings, we are feeling beings more then anything. Take notice if how you are sitting/ standing/moving.
Another way or layer of noticing your body throughout the day is to be in your senses. You sense of sound, sight, smell, taste, and touch/feel. Noticing a sound, or how the breeze feels on your body…..
Meditation on your body. Even though you can essentially meditate on anything, I choose to meditate with a feeling of centeredness. I usually sit, or lay and close my eyes and feel my body, taking gentle deep breaths and softening.
This is a process and at times will feel easy and at times not so easy. This relates to everything I have talked about and will talk about.
From this place of center:
- You can notice how your body feels throughout the day, and readjust to a better posture.
- Your treatments and self treatment/ stretching will be more effective. You will feel the releases more and know how far to go and not to go when self treating.
- You will feel what you need in any moment, whether that is rest, play, work etc.
- You will learn to quiet your mind naturally.
- You will decrease burnout, stress and everything else that causes you to feel drained…you are more aware and know your boundaries.
I could keep going but I think you get the point. If this feels right to you, and you want to give it a try, go for it. If you have any questions or comments, I would love to hear them.